Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's Time.

My name is Ben.

I've been a proud volunteer for the American Cancer Society Relay For Life for over 7 years now. In short - it has been awesome.

Alongside millions of passionate volunteers and staff, I have had the chance help develop and grow the largest fundraising effort in the history of mankind, and in doing so, fuel the lifesaving work that ACS does every day. I have traveled the country witnessing the unique, creative ways that communities have adapted this event to be truly theirs, while at the same time reflecting the greater community of Relayers nationwide. I have seen hope in the face of loss; I have seen triumph in the face of impossible odds.

But most of all, I have met remarkable people. People that give of their time and their resources to an extent that seems unreasonable. People that work full days, raise families, go to school, keep up social lives, excel at talents, and still gather the strength to help others. They fight back against cancer. They Relay.

The American Cancer Society places a huge amount of responsibility in the hands of its leadership volunteers. What's more, ACS augments this responsibility with training, resources and opportunities of the highest caliber to help us develop as Relayers - and as people. Hopefully, I've been able to absorb some of that valuable training and "tribal knowledge" from the amazing folks I have been fortunate enough to learn from. If I'm really lucky (and I'm not making any promises) I'll be able to reproduce of those learning in the form of valuable content here.

This is an experiment... an experiment with a few goals. I hope to write about:
  • Things encountered in my "Relay adventures"
  • Tips and best practices learned along the way
  • Interesting thoughts from discussions with the Nationwide Relay Advisory Team
  • Stories of Relayers
Or maybe it will be about something completely different. We'll just have to see...

Fighting back,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment